Cover with alum. foil and bake in 350 degree oven until almost fork tender.
- Approx. 6 lb whole brisket
- 1 pkg. onion soup mix
- 4 cloves smashed garlic
- 2 cups red wine, meat broth or water
- 3 tbsp. tomato paste
- 3 tbsp. worstershire sauce
- salt, pepper, basil, parsley, thyme, bay leaves
- 3 tbsp. ketchup on top of meat
- add carrots and celery pieces around meat in pan
Remove from pan and let cool at least 1/2 hr.
Add enough water to pan to make quantity of gravy and thicken with
cornstarch or arrowroot or flour.
Return sliced meat to gravy in pan and finish cooking until VERY tender.
Meat should be nice and brown-if not, return to oven and roast a bit longer-uncovered.
Serve with mashed or oven roasted potatoes or couscous.
Elaine S. Birkmeyer, Baltimore, MD